November 24, 1923 – October 30, 2019
David B. Hinshaw ’47 was born Nov. 24, 1923, and passed away Oct. 30, 2019, in Ann Arbor, Michigan, at the age of 95.
Born in Whittier, California, Dr. Hinshaw moved with his parents to a small town in San Diego County at the age of 5. When he was 16, his mother became ill and sought treatment from a Seventh-day Adventist physician, who invited the family to a series of evangelistic meetings. Dr. Hinshaw and his parents joined the Seventh-day Adventist Church in January 1940. His mother died later that year.
After graduating from the College of Medical Evangelists (CME) in 1947, Dr. Hinshaw served as a captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corps (1948-1950) and completed a four-year surgical residency at the Veterans Administration hospital in Portland, Oregon, in 1954.
Dr. Hinshaw returned to CME in 1954 as an instructor of surgery on the Los Angeles campus. He was appointed assistant professor of surgery in 1957, professor in 1961, and chair of the department that same year. In 1962, he was named dean of the School of Medicine, a position he accepted on the condition that he be allowed to continue as chair of surgery.
Known for his tough resolve, Dr. Hinshaw worked tirelessly on the medical school’s consolidation efforts at a time when the majority of his colleagues wanted the school to establish permanent operations in Los Angeles. He spearheaded the drive to move the clinical faculty from Los Angeles to the Inland Empire in the 1960s and build Loma Linda University Medical Center (LLUMC) on its current site.
Dr. Hinshaw also served as president of LLUMC (1988-1994), during which time he oversaw the completion of Loma Linda University Children’s Hospital as well as the James M. Slater, MD, Proton Treatment and Research Center and the Loma Linda University Behavioral Medicine Center.
“Few people have set the footprint for Loma Linda University Health today like Dr. Hinshaw,” said Richard H. Hart, DrPH, ’70, president of Loma Linda University Health (LLUH). “Each one of his critical decisions greatly expanded our clinical services and established our reputation for the future. We stand on his shoulders today in so many ways.”
The issue of separate campuses was a holdover from the early 20th century, when most American medical schools taught science on rural campuses and clinical education at large urban hospitals. In the 1930s, the accrediting agency, the Council on Medical Education, began pushing schools to consolidate everything in one location.
This created a decision point for Loma Linda University (LLU), then known as the College of Medical Evangelists. It had been teaching basic sciences in Loma Linda and sending medical students to Los Angeles for clinical rotations. When Dr. Hinshaw became dean in 1962, the council was threatening to withdraw accreditation unless the school consolidated operations.
In January 1963, accreditors from the Council on Medical Education voiced strong opposition to the board action to move to Loma Linda, but Dr. Hinshaw was able to change the surveyors’ minds. Once he had the support of the Council on Medical Education, he rapidly consolidated the school in Loma Linda.
After resigning as dean in 1975, Dr. Hinshaw became chief of surgery at the Jerry L. Pettis Memorial Veterans Administration Hospital (1977-1982). He then served as dean of the Oral Roberts University School of Medicine (1982-1984) in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In February 1986, he returned to California to become both vice president for medical affairs at LLU and president of the Medical Center and Adventist Health System, Loma Linda.
At the height of his career, Dr. Hinshaw belonged to 14 professional societies. He served as president of the Southern California chapter of the American College of Surgeons (1968-1969) and was a governor of the American College of Surgeons (1980-1982). He authored or coauthored 100 published scientific articles and was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society.
All three of his children followed their father into the practice of medicine. David B. Hinshaw Jr. ’71 is chair of radiology at LLU School of Medicine, Kathleen M. Hinshaw ’78 is retired, and Daniel B. Hinshaw ’78 is professor emeritus and surgical consultant in palliative medicine at University of Michigan.
Dr. Hinshaw’s wife, Mildred, preceded him in death in 2002. He is survived by three children, six grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.
(Source: LLUH News)